from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Oxygen, especially additional oxygen: oxyacetylene.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Concerning oxygen
- Sharp, keen, acute, pungent, acid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A compound containing oxygen.
- A compound containing the hydroxyl group, more properly designated by hydroxy-. See hydroxy-.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to an ox; resembling an ox; bovine.
- Wet; soft; spongy: applied to land.
- n. In chem., a prefix indicating that the substance named contains oxygen. In almost all cases it is chemically synonymous with hydroxy-, which is to be preferred.
From oxygen.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Ancient Greek ὀξύς (oxus, "sharp"). (Wiktionary)