American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Oxygen, especially additional oxygen: oxyacetylene.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to an ox; resembling an ox; bovine.
- Wet; soft; spongy: applied to land.
- n. In chem., a prefix indicating that the substance named contains oxygen. In almost all cases it is chemically synonymous with hydroxy-, which is to be preferred.
GNU Webster's 1913
- A compound containing
- A compound containing the
hydroxyl group, more properly designated by hydroxy-. See hydroxy-.
- From the Ancient Greek ὀξύς (oxus, "sharp"). (Wiktionary)
- From oxygen. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘oxy-’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for oxy-.