from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To approach strangers and beg for money or food.
- transitive v. To approach and beg from (a stranger).
- transitive v. To obtain by approaching and begging from a stranger: panhandled money. See Synonyms at cadge.
- n. The handle of a pan.
- n. A narrow strip of territory projecting from a larger, broader area, as in Alaska, Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The handle of a pan.
- n. (US) On a map, where a part of a political entity forms a longish extension such that it resembles the handle of a pan, as with a frying pan.
- v. To beg for money, especially with a container in hand for receiving loose change, especially on the street, and particularly, by a bum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The handle of a pan
- intransitive v. To accost people in a public place and ask for money; to beg.
- transitive v. to obtain by panhandling.
- transitive v. To accost in a public place and ask for money from.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The handle of a pan; hence, a long narrow strip projecting like the handle of a frying-pan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. beg by accosting people in the street and asking for money
- n. a relatively narrow strip of land projecting from some larger area
- n. the handle of a pan
If the Florida panhandle is the Redneck Riviera, this is the Redneck Aspen.
Even if the premature television calls affected all potential voters equally, the effect was to reduce Republican votes significantly, because the Florida panhandle is a Republican stronghold.
Every single election everyone seems to have the epiphany that the panhandle is still voting as they're trotting out the news that the polls are closed. gyges1
The FL panhandle is on central time (from what I understand) and, coicindentaly of course, also happens to be more conservative.
About an hour before the polls closed in panhandle Florida, the networks called the U.S.
Compare that to the northern part of the state from Orlando to Jacksonville and across to Pensacola, which tends to run to the far more conservative old style Deep South side of the aisle (the panhandle is sometimes referred to as Lower Alabama) with its large rural areas and middle-class retirees who are deeply suspicious of anything that smells slightly of progressivism beyond 1948.
SYNOPSIS: During the 1950's a deteriorating political situation in Laos had allowed NVA troops and Pathet Lao guerrillas to seize the Laotian panhandle from the Royal Lao Army.
The panhandle is a strange portion of land sandwiched between Ohio—to which we feel superior because it's full of rubes and farmers—and Pennsylvania—to which we feel inferior because it is has better roads and the Steelers.
When the first election call was made, the polls had not even closed in the Florida panhandle, which is in a separate time zone, one hour earlier than the rest of the state.
Across the panhandle, which is all conservative, he did very well beating Mitt Romney in some places Romney expected to win.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.