from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a bilaterally symmetrical corolla somewhat resembling a butterfly, characteristic of most plants of the pea family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the form of a butterfly.
- adj. Having corolla with two wings resembling those of a butterfly.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to the Papilionaceae family of plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling the butterfly.
- adj. Having a winged corolla somewhat resembling a butterfly, as in the blossoms of the bean and pea.
- adj. Belonging to that suborder of leguminous plants (Papilionaceæ) which includes the bean, pea, vetch, clover, and locust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling the butterfly.
- In botany, having the corolla shaped like a butterfly, such as that of the pea.
Latin pāpiliō, pāpiliōn-, butterfly; see pavilion + -aceous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)