American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One of a group of traditional classifications of words according to their functions in context, including the noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection, and sometimes the article.
- n. A word considered as a part of speech.
- n. grammar A linguistic category of words sharing syntactic or morphological behaviour and semantic properties, such as noun or verb.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Gram.) a sort or class of words of a particular character.
- n. one of the traditional categories of words intended to reflect their functions in a grammatical context
“In the other passages where proskuneo occurs the case is not shown on account of some other part of speech being used with the verb.”
Looking for tweets for part of speech.