from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Divided into parts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. divided into parts
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Divided nearly to the base.
- adj. Consisting of parts; usually used in compounds specifying the number of parts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Parted or divided into parts: usually in composition with qualifying or specifying prefix, as bipartite, tripartite, quadripartite. See the compounds.
- In botany, same as parted.
- In entomology, divided by a slit from the apex to the base, as the wings of certain small moths.
Latin partītus, past participle of partīre, to divide, from pars, part-, part; see part.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)