from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several piglike hoofed mammals of the family Tayassuidae, found in North, Central, and South America and having long, dark, dense bristles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the family Tayassuidae of mammals from the Americas related to pigs and hippos
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pachyderm of the genus Dicotyles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of swine indigenous to America, belonging to the family Dicotylidæ and the genus Dicotyles. See the technical words.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nocturnal gregarious pig-like wild animals of North America and South America
Ultimately from Carib pakira.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)