from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a group of civilians organized in a military fashion, especially to operate in place of or assist regular army troops.
- n. A member of a paramilitary force.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of civilians trained and organized in a military fashion, but which do not represent the formal forces of a sovereign power.
- n. A member of a paramilitary group.
- adj. relating to a paramilitary
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of civilians organized in a military fashion (especially to operate in place of or to assist regular army troops)
- adj. of or relating to a group of civilians organized to function like or to assist a military unit
This was an area that they were still a little bit concerned that there might be some what they call paramilitary resistance and the commanding officer, Colonel Richard Mills (ph), described the approach as controlled aggression.
French authorities forced strike-shuttered fuel depots to reopen to ensure gasoline supplies, and the interior minister threatened Wednesday to send in paramilitary police to stop rioting on the fringes of protests against raising the retirement age to 62.
In Kent nice fluffy lady policemen wear flat hats and ties and male officers walk around in paramilitary style combat trousers and black t-shirts.
If that knowledge stopped, as I guess, at the local level, then does the UUP hierarchy believe it to be acceptable that a paramilitary is “helping out”?
The Sunni Iraqis – or "Sons of Iraq", as the US dubbed the paramilitary force – who participated in a similar scheme, receiving monies and munitions to fight al-Qaida, are now upset that their US support has dried up and they have no political power to show for it.
It's not like people are in paramilitary outfits weilding clubs at polling places – not that that is wrong – just ask the AG.
If you are afraid stocks, bonds, real estate and precious metals are all going to tank together then I suggest you invest in paramilitary organizations.
One of the biggest catalysts for involvement in paramilitary activity was that there was fuck-all for young men to do in the council estates.
A call received at the FCR from CCTV that a man dressed in paramilitary clothing was brandishing a firearm in the square of a small valley town.
During his distinguished career, he received training in paramilitary operations, worked in the Directorate of Operations, served in the CIAâ€ ™ s Operationâ€ ™ s Center, and established himself as a prolific analyst in the Directorate of Intelligence.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.