American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A grade of black tea consisting of the leaves around the buds.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A superior kind of black tea, so called because the leaves are picked young with the “down” still on them.
- n. Pekoe tea (unqualified) is that made from the three pekoe leaves together (see below). It is of a black or grayish black color dotted with grayish or yellowish pekoe ends, and yields a strong dark liquor of fine flavor, technically described as “piquant.”
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of black tea.
- n. a superior grade of black tea; grown in India and Sri Lanka and Java
- Chinese (Amoy) pek ho : pek, white + ho, down, fine feathers. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I had always been under the impression that the name "pekoe" referred to a certain type of tea, but he told me that the word is Chinese for "eyelash," and came to be used because the tip leaves of tea bushes, when rolled and dried, resemble eyelashes.”
“- The OP [ "Marigold" by orange pekoe] was quite catchy and jazzy.”
“All I can seem to find is black tea but no orange pekoe.”
“Plain old orange pekoe Lipton type teabags, soaked with water and held on the nipples for a good long while.”
“The folks who want to protest Washington could just as easily argued to mail loose leaf tea my preference in drinking anyway, or suggested something like orange pekoe tea, or jasmine tea, and the ‘tea bag’ reference would have been obviated without diluting the message.”
““Normal tea,” to me, is generally orange pekoe, but sometimes green tea, and always hot.”
“Hot tea plain tea, earl grey or orange pekoe is almost always drank with milk in it.”
“And indeed plenty have been the Fish House Punch recipes that have urged the addition of fizzy wine, fizzy water, green tea, strong orange pekoe tea, pineapple, bourbon or any number of imposter ingredients.”
“We had a child, too, who was her own from her first moment flopping like a fish on a table top, a girl of orange pekoe temper with thistle green eyes.”
“My friends and I wear our hair white and long (but no pony tail, please): we drink orange pekoe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pekoe’.
it's tea time!
words with oe that aren't:
or compound latin thingies (electroencephalograph)
Looking for tweets for pekoe.