from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a set of points on a scale arrived at by dividing a group into parts in order of magnitude. For example, a score equal to or greater than 97 percent of those attained on an examination is said to be in the 97th percentile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the ninety-nine points that divide an ordered distribution into one hundred parts, each containing one per cent of the population.
- n. Any one of the hundred groups so divided.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In percentage: as, percentile measurement.
- n. See the first quotation.
- n. In mathematics, a point upon a curve of errors which corresponds to a certain percentage of the total number of observations under discussion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (statistics) any of the 99 numbered points that divide an ordered set of scores into 100 parts each of which contains one-hundredth of the total
Sorry, no etymologies found.