American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. By necessity; by force of circumstance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- By force or violence; of necessity.
- To force; constrain; compel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. By force; of necessary; at any rate.
- v. obsolete To force; to compel.
- adv. by necessity; by force of circumstance
- From Middle English par force, from Anglo-Norman, from Old French par force ("by force") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English par force, from Old French : par, by (from Latin per; see per) + force, force; see force. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Hence, the mere presence of Nato troops – extending the writ of the central government - perforce, is an achievement in itself.”
“In the days when you had to stoke the coal stove and scrub the washing, class differences were perforce more pronounced.”
“For food I gathered a few vegetables from farms on the fringe of the forest, which, perforce, I had to eat raw and after ten days on this diet found that I was able to eat only enough to keep me going.”
“** Obscure in the sense that no one read it the first time, perforce the second.”
“They are more like children to him, even the hunters, and as children he treats them, descending perforce to their level and playing with them as a man plays with puppies.”
“The water still poured in, and perforce we doubled up in the cockpit and tossed it out again.”
“Had the Factor gone but one step farther, perforce Snettishane would himself have mentioned the name of Lit-lit, but -- the Factor had not gone that one step farther.”
“By sunset this exchange of boats was made, and we said good-by to our Greek, who perforce had to go into Benicia and be locked up for his own violation of the law.”
“He who loves one must perforce love all the world and all the unborn worlds.”
“His quick-changing facial expressions might tell every thought and mood, but the tongue, perforce, ran hard after, repeating, like a second Boswell.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘perforce’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
That come in handy, but might make you look like a douchebag.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
All my favourite words that I come across!
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Looking for tweets for perforce.