from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A broad-brimmed, low-crowned hat worn by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The winged cap of Mercury; also, a broad-brimmed, low-crowned hat worn by Greeks and Romans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity, a low-crowned, broad-brimmed felt hat worn characteristically by travelers, and a common attribute of Hermes.
- n. Hence The winged hat or cap worn by Mercury in late artistic types.
- n. [capitalized] The typical genus of the family Petasidæ.
Latin, from Ancient Greek πέτασος. (Wiktionary)