American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A colorless crystalline compound, C4H10N2, used as a hardener for epoxy resins, an antihistamine, and an anthelmintic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deliquescent crystalline base, (C2H4)2(NH2)2 or diethyl-enediamine, which is made by the action of alcoholic ammonia on ethylene chlorid, and in other ways. It melts at 104° C. It is a valuable solvent for uric acid and is used in medicine for that purpose.
- n. organic chemistry, pharmacology, uncountable A saturated heterocyclic compound, C4H10N2, containing two nitrogen atoms in a six-membered ring; it is used as an anthelmintic.
- n. organic chemistry, countable Any derivative of this compound
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Chem.) A crystalline substance, (C2H4NH)2, formed by action of ammonia on ethylene bromide, by reduction of pyrazine, etc. It is a strong base, and is used as a remedy for gout.
- n. vermifuge used to treat infestations by roundworms or pinworms
- After German Piperazin, from piper(idine) + azine. (Wiktionary)
- piper(ine) + az(o)- + -ine2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“New drugs belonging to the phenethylamine, tryptamine and piperazine families were also identified.”
“The laboratory has received numerous Ecstasy mimic tablets containing this piperazine mixture over the past year, but never before in these unusual tablet shapes.”
“Maybe Janssen could branch out, do anxiolytic potato chips, a Ben and Jerry's SSRI Swirl, piperazine pretzels?”
“Where toxocarosis is a problem in young calves, calves should be treated with piperazine at 6 weeks of age.”
“For example, the piperazine phenothiazines are 10 to 30 times as potent in inducing extrapyramidal signs as are other classes of phenothiazines 109.”
“Note on worm medicines: Many 'worm medicines' contain piperazine.”
“Try giving piperazine to a child who starts having asthma if you think she has roundworms.”
“Dosage (expressed in piperazine hydrate) - Ascariasis: Child: 75 mg/kg, in a single dose Adult: 3 to 4”
“Therefore, if you suspect a person has roundworm in addition to other worms, it is wise to treat first with piperazine before giving thiabendazole.”
“It also works for roundworm and pinworm, but piperazine has fewer side effects.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘piperazine’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words containing *pipe*.
Looking for tweets for piperazine.