from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A representation of a sphere or part of a sphere on a plane surface.
- n. Astronomy A polar projection of half or more of the celestial sphere on a chart equipped with an adjustable overlay to show the stars visible at a particular time and place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any representation of part of a sphere on a plane surface
- n. Any of several charts of the celestial sphere having an overlay or window that may be adjusted to show the stars visible at a particular time, or from a particular place
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The representation of the circles of the sphere upon a plane; especially, a representation of the celestial sphere upon a plane with adjustable circles, or other appendages, for showing the position of the heavens, the time of rising and setting of stars, etc., for any given date or hour.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A projection of the sphere; especially, a polar projection of the celestial sphere
- n. An apparatus consisting of a polar projection of the heavens, with a card over it turning about the pole, and so cut out as to show the part of the heavens visible at a given latitude at a given local sidereal time.
Sorry, no etymologies found.