from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The property possessed by some crystals of exhibiting different colors, especially three different colors, when viewed along different axes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The optical phenomenon in some colored, transparent crystals (such as tourmaline) in which the color is different in different directions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The property possessed by some crystals, of showing different colors when viewed in the direction of different axes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In crystallography, the variation in color observed in some crystals when viewed in different directions, due to the fact that the rays having vibrations in different planes suffer absorption in different degrees.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the phenomenon of different colors appearing when certain crystals are viewed from different directions
pleo- + Greek khrōs, color + -ism.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)