from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chemistry The property possessed by some solutions of showing different colors at different concentrations.
- n. Chemistry The property possessed by some crystals of exhibiting two different colors when viewed along different axes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The property of some crystals of transmitting different colours of light in different directions.
- n. The property of some anisotropic materials of having different absorption coefficients for light polarized in different directions; circular dichroism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The property of presenting different colors by transmitted light, when viewed in two different directions, the colors being unlike in the direction of unlike or unequal axes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In optics: A property possessed by many doubly refracting crystals of exhibiting different colors when viewed in different directions.
- n. The exhibition of essentially different colors by certain solutions in different degrees of dilution or concentration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pleochroism of a crystal so that it exhibits two different colors when viewed from two different directions
Sorry, no etymologies found.