Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In chem., containing lead as a constituent; more specifically, containing lead with apparently dyad valence: as, plumbous chlorid. PbCl2, as distinguished from plumbic chlorid, PbCl4.
- adj. chemistry Of, pertaining to, resembling or containing lead.
- adj. chemistry Specifically, of compounds in which it has a lower valence as contrasted with plumbic compounds.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or containing, lead; -- used specifically to designate those compounds in which it has a lower valence as contrasted with
- adj. relating to or consisting of lead
“A mixture of two parts of heavy spar and one of the plumbous compound.”
“[Illustration: A male plumbous gnatcatcher feeding young] _Meagre Nests.”
“spirits of salt" in soldering may have resulted in the presence of a little stannous, plumbous, or other chloride in canned food; but such a fault would soon be detected and corrected, and as a matter of fact, resin-soldering is to my knowledge more generally employed -- indeed, for anything I know to the contrary, is exclusively employed -- in canning food.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘plumbous’.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for plumbous.