American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Government by the wealthy.
- n. A wealthy class that controls a government.
- n. A government or state in which the wealthy rule.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Government by the wealthy class; the rule of wealth; also, a class ruling by virtue of its wealth. Also plutarchy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A form of government in which the supreme power is lodged in the hands of the wealthy classes; government by the rich; also, a controlling or influential class of rich men.
- n. a political system governed by the wealthy people
- From Ancient Greek πλουτοκρατία (ploutokratia, "rule of the wealthy"), from πλουτοκρατέω (ploutokrateō, "I rule through wealth"), from πλοῦτος (ploutos, "wealth") + κρατέω (krateō, "I rule") (from κράτος (kratos, "power”, “might")). (Wiktionary)
- Greek ploutokratiā : ploutos, wealth; see pleu- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Bury The term plutocracy is generally used to describe these two distinct concepts: one of a historical nature and one of a modern political nature.”
“He was opposed to what he called plutocracy, a maldistribution of wealth.”
“He hated what he called the plutocracy, but no individual rich man.”
“January 21st, 2010 at 11: 20 am tombaker says: the pundits, the baggers, anyone can say anything now, it will all be for show, and nothing more. formal commencement of plutocracy is enacted.”
“America under the plutocracy is free by definition, you see. fostert Says:”
“I'm telling you, why people don't use the word plutocracy and oligarchy to describe what is happening is beyond me.”
“Or worse, deliberately downgraded roads to other businesses. by emporer palpatine your not living in a republic no more after all, its called plutocracy govt by corporation musilini did it hitler did it”
“This is sometimes called plutocracy (rule by wealth) or kleptocracy (rule by theft). wiseGEEK”
“The Populists and the radical Democrats felt that they were fighting the battle of the masses against "plutocracy" -- the subtle and corrupting control of public affairs by the possessors of great fortunes; they thought that they saw arrayed against them the forces of wealth and the corporations, seeking to enslave them.”
“In the land of fools, also known as the US of A, anything that’s not 100% plutocracy is called “socialism”. autoit 0.762225951300934”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘plutocracy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
denoting a form of government or rule
A handful of -ocracies.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Looking for tweets for plutocracy.