from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to rain; rainy.
- adj. Geology Marked or formed by abundant rainfall: pluvial periods; a pluvial lake.
- n. Geology An extended period of abundant rainfall, especially such a period of the Pleistocene Epoch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or produced by rain
- adj. occurring through the action of rain
- n. a rainy period
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to rain; rainy.
- adj. Produced by the action of rain.
- n. A priest's cope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Rainy; humid: relating to rain; also, very rainy; characterized by great or extensive rainfall
- In geology, depending on or arising from the action of rain.
- n. Eccles., a cope: so called from its use in outdoor processions, etc., as a protection from the weather.
Latin pluviālis, from pluvia, rain; see pluvious.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin pluviālis ("rainy"). (Wiktionary)