from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Existence in a former state, or previous to something else.
- n. Existence of the soul before its union with the body; -- a doctrine held by certain philosophers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Existence previous to something else.
- n. Existence in a previous state; existence of the soul before its union with the body, or before the body is formed. Belief in it was a doctrine of the Pythagorean school, of Plato, and of other philosophers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. existing in a former state or previous to something else
Sorry, no etymologies found.