from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To force into military or naval service.
- transitive v. To force or coerce: "press-ganging a consumer into buying something he doesn't want” ( Feona McEwan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A body of men employed to force others into military or naval service.
- v. To force men into military or naval service.
- v. To coerce somebody into doing something that they are reluctant to do.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To act as a press-gang.
- n. A detachment under the command of an officer empowered to impress men into the public service, especially the naval service.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Are we really going to press-gang (intentional pun) our media into tasting in isolation and only when they have paid for the opportunity themselves?
Used as press-gang hounds by the Terran Exploitations Company.
Not to be deterred, Andrew managed to press-gang a substitute.
From what I understand, much motivation for Taliban recruits besides the press-gang, is the fact all those Western troops are kicking around.
Recently Caco tried to press-gang 30 leading members of the military police, setting off a street battle between branches of the Bosnian armed forces that left one dead and several wounded.
“One crew leaves, they have to press-gang another.”
He would have started a press-gang, but there was no superfluity of men in that township: nothing but boys and grandfathers.
He will never betray us; he is wonderfully grateful; and after that battle with the press-gang, when he knocked down the officer and broke his arm, he will keep pretty clear of the Union-jack.
Of course, he is the butt of “utter and acknowledged ignorance”, and of “the most gross and foolish statements”, and of “the unjust and dishonest”, and of “the press-gang”, and of crowds of other alien and combative adjectives, participles, and substantives.
And then as they rambled on with their tales of seafaring and the press-gang and the Marquis of
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.