from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To force into military or naval service.
- transitive v. To force or coerce: "press-ganging a consumer into buying something he doesn't want” ( Feona McEwan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A body of men employed to force others into military or naval service.
- v. To force men into military or naval service.
- v. To coerce somebody into doing something that they are reluctant to do.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A detachment under the command of an officer empowered to impress men into the public service, especially the naval service.
- To act as a press-gang.
Sorry, no etymologies found.