from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A proceeding held before an official trial, especially to clarify points of law and facts.
- adj. Of or relating to a pretrial.
- adj. Existing or occurring before a trial: pretrial imprisonment; pretrial hearings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to a preliminary trial.
- n. A preliminary trial held in advance of a court trial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (law) a conference held before the trial begins to bring the parties together to outline discovery proceedings and to define the issues to be tried; more useful in civil than in criminal cases
pre- + trial (Wiktionary)