from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A second trial, as of a legal case.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A second trial, by the original court, if the original trial was found to be improper or unfair
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A secdond trial, experiment, or test; a second judicial trial, as of an accused person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A second trial; repetition of trial: as, the case was sent back for retrial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a new trial in which issues already litigated and to which the court has already rendered a verdict or decision are reexamined by the same court; occurs when the initial trial is found to have been improper or unfair due to procedural errors
Sorry, no etymologies found.