from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A glazed, brittle biscuit that is usually salted on the outside and baked in the form of a loose knot or a stick.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A toasted bread or cracker usually in the shape of a loose knot.
- n. Anything that is knotted, twisted, or tangled.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of German biscuit or cake in the form of a twisted ring, salted on the outside.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small brittle biscuit, usually baked in the form of a knot, and salted on the outside; a cracknel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. glazed and salted cracker typically in the shape of a loose knot
German Brezel, Pretzel, from Middle High German brēzel, prēzel, from Old High German brezitella, from Medieval Latin *brāchitellum, diminutive of Latin bracchiātus, branched, from bracchium, arm, from Greek brakhīōn, upper arm.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)