from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various thermometers used for measuring high temperatures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thermometer designed to measure high temperatures.
- n. An instrument for measuring the thermal expansion of solids.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument used for measuring the expansion of solid bodies by heat.
- n. An instrument for measuring degrees of heat above those indicated by the mercurial thermometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument, in the form of a simple metallic bar, employed by Muschenbroek, about 1730, for measuring the changes produced in the dimensions of solid bodies by the application of heat. ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thermometer designed to measure high temperatures
Sorry, no etymologies found.