Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which restrains; specifically, in photography, a chemical which is added to the developer for the purpose of retaṙding its action, especially in the case of an over-exposed plate, or in order to obtain greater contrast or intensity in a naturally weak plate. Acids, sodium sulphite, bromides, and other substances act as restrainers.
- n. Specifically, in electricity, a substance used in the manufacture of the electrodes of magnetite arc-lamps the function of which is to reduce the rate at which the terminals are consumed.
- n. Something that restrains
- n. photography A chemical compound (such as potassium bromide), added to a developer to prevent fogging
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, restrains.
- n. a chemical that is added to a photographic developer in order to retard development and reduce the amount of fog on a film
- n. a person who directs and restrains
“A restrainer is the organizational equivalent of tripping a runner in a foot race - the more often they are tripped, the poorer their performance will be.”
“The pencil-thin fire-spouter and the sleazy-looking "restrainer" had a sufficiently unfamiliar air to go with Maulbow's story; but as far as”
“Such names are _mashmashu_, the general term for 'the charmer'; _kalû_, so called, perhaps, as the 'restrainer' of the demons, the one who keeps them in check; _lagaru_, a synonym of kalu; _makhkhû_,”
“The "restrainer" (The U.S.) will be taken out of the way.”
“Yama is not mentioned elsewhere  in the Rig Veda, except in the statement that 'metres rest on Yama,' and in the closing verses of the burial hymn: "For Yama press the _soma_, for Yama pour oblation; the sacrifice goes to Yama; he shall extend for us a long life among the gods," where the pun on Yama (_yamad á_), in the sense of 'stretch out,' shows that as yet no thought of 'restrainer' was in the poet's mind, although the sense of 'twin' is lost from the name.”
“I lament the demise of the Victorian whisker restrainer.”
“We should also be aware that the Holy Spirit is the restrainer.”
“I strip off my shirt, lay face down in the restrainer chair.”
“Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained; and the restrainer of reason usurps its place & governs the unwilling.”
“In most matters we recognize that the law is both teacher and restrainer of evil doers.”
Looking for tweets for restrainer.