from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that restrains
- n. A chemical compound (such as potassium bromide), added to a developer to prevent fogging
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, restrains.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which restrains; specifically, in photography, a chemical which is added to the developer for the purpose of retaṙding its action, especially in the case of an over-exposed plate, or in order to obtain greater contrast or intensity in a naturally weak plate. Acids, sodium sulphite, bromides, and other substances act as restrainers.
- n. Specifically, in electricity, a substance used in the manufacture of the electrodes of magnetite arc-lamps the function of which is to reduce the rate at which the terminals are consumed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a chemical that is added to a photographic developer in order to retard development and reduce the amount of fog on a film
- n. a person who directs and restrains
Sorry, no etymologies found.