American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A rose-colored skin rash, sometimes occurring with diseases such as measles, syphilis, or scarlet fever.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a kind of rash or rose-colored efflorescence, mostly symptomatic, occurring in connection with different febrile complaints. Also called rose-rash and scarlet rash.
- n. pathology Any rosy rash that occurs with various fevers, especially that occurring with a mild disease of early infancy that resembles measles.
- n. pathology German measles.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (med.) A rose-colored efflorescence upon the skin, occurring in circumscribed patches of little or no elevation and often alternately fading and reviving; also, an acute specific disease which is characterized by an eruption of this character; -- called also
- n. any red eruption of the skin
- From New Latin, from diminutive of Latin rosa ("a rose"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin, from diminutive of Latin roseus, rosy, from rosa, rose. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The time between the appearance of the chancre and the appearance of the rash on the body (the rash looks like a measles rash and is called roseola, which means a rose-colored rash) is called the _Primary Stage_.”
“The cook left; the boys had a disease called roseola; Agnes, who was still drunk with her engagement, was of no assistance, but kept flying up to London to push Rickie's fortunes; and, to crown everything, the matron was too bright and not motherly enough: she neglected the little boys and was overattentive to the big ones.”
“Soon thereafter, HHV-6 was noted to be ubiquitous and a principal cause of the common childhood disease exanthem subitum (also referred to as roseola or sixth disease) .”
“The doctors think it’s probably roseola, which is way better than the measles we thought it might be, but it’s still been difficult: making childcare arrangements, getting enough food and rest, and even being able to just enjoy our time together.”
“roseola," -- which are characteristic of abdominal typhus.”
“• Some illnesses are more likely to present with seizures as a symptom, including pneumonia, meningitis, shigella infections, diarrhea, and roseola.”
“Quinn had a terrible case of roseola - we were so relieved when it was all over.”
“With the rash spreading from the abdomen, it sounds like she has roseola, which while scary to look at, is generally harmless and just annoying.”
“Sierra had roseola, a common rite of passage for babies, but when it is your baby, in the throes of a raging fever that is seeping 104.3 from her every pore, and she is crying out in agony, and dehyrdrating in front of your very eyes ... and convulsing and trembling in rigidity from the fever, well, it is the most terrifying experience in the world.”
“Also, I'm with Christina and putting my money on roseola.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roseola’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
List of words that contain the string of letters "rose" - from aprosexia nasalis to prosectionist.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
usually i try to restrict this to sexually transmitted diseases, but some of the others are just so musical. Syphilis, it should be noted, would make a lovely boy's name, but that is outside the sc...
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Vituperative viruses : vindictive and vicious. This list doesn't even touch on the havoc wrought by bacteria, parasites, and prions.
poliomyelitis, marburg virus, ebola virus, subacute sclerosi..., progressive multi..., rabies, encephalitis leth..., lymphocytic chori..., tick-borne mening..., tropical spastic ..., dengue fever, rift valley fever and 85 more...
Looking for tweets for roseola.