from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ceramic container used inside a fuel-fired kiln to protect pots from the flame.
- n. Fireclay used to make ceramic casings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A box or case of hard pottery in which porcelain and other delicate ceramic wares are inclosed for baking.
- In ceramics, to place in or upon a saggar.
- n. The cast-iron box in which white iron castings are packed with an oxid of iron, such as hematite ore, to be exposed to the heat of the reverberatory furnace in the process of rendering them malleable.
Uncertain, possibly a contracted form of safeguard. (Wiktionary)