from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large marine fishes of the genus Istiophorus, having a large saillike dorsal fin and an upper jaw that is prolonged into a spearlike bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish of the genus Istiophorus, having a characteristic sail-like fin on its back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The banner fish, or spikefish (Histiophorus.)
- n. The basking, or liver, shark.
- n. The quillback.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different fishes, so called from the large or long dorsal fin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large pelagic game fish having an elongated upper jaw and long dorsal fin that resembles a sail
- n. a saltwater fish with lean flesh
sail + fish (Wiktionary)