from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small dish for holding and dispensing salt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of salt cellar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formerly a large vessel, now a small vessel of glass or other material, used for holding salt on the table.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small vessel for holding salt, used on the table. See salt, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small container for holding salt at the dining table
Alteration of Middle English salt-saler : salt, salt; see salt + saler, saltcellar (from Old French saliere, from Medieval Latin salāria, from Latin, feminine of salārius, of salt, from sāl, sal-, salt).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)