American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To write hurriedly without heed to legibility or style.
- v. To cover with scribbles, doodles, or meaningless marks.
- v. To write or draw in a hurried careless way.
- n. Careless hurried writing.
- n. Meaningless marks and lines.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To write with haste, or without care or regard to correctness or elegance: as, to scribble a letter or pamphlet.
- To cover or fill with careless or worthless writing, or unintelligible and entangled lines.
- To write without care or regard for correctness or elegance; scrawl; make unintelligible and entangled lines on paper or a slate for mere amusement, as a child does.
- n. Hurried or careless writing; a scrawl; hence, a shallow or trivial composition or article: as, a hasty scribble.
- n. [In the following quotation the word is used figuratively for a hurried, scrambling manner of walking, opposed to “a set pace,” as a scribble is to “a set copy.”
- To card or tease coarsely; pass, as cotton or wool, through a scribbler.
- v. To write or draw carelessly and in a hurry
- v. To doodle
- v. obsolete To card or tease (wool) coarsely; to run through a scribbler.
- n. Careless, hasty writing or drawing
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. (Woolen Manuf.) To card coarsely; to run through the scribbling machine.
- v. To write hastily or carelessly, without regard to correctness or elegance.
- v. To fill or cover with careless or worthless writing.
- v. To write without care, elegance, or value; to scrawl.
- n. Hasty or careless writing; a writing of little value; a scrawl.
- v. write carelessly
- n. an aimless drawing
- v. write down quickly without much attention to detail
- n. poor handwriting
- From early modern English scrible, frequentive of scribe. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English scriblen, probably from scriben, to write, from Latin scrībere, to write. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I see you are always _at it_ in the old way -- _scribble, scribble, scribble_! ”
“To arrest Lee for that scribble is completely out of proportion.”
“Reilly recalled a scribble on a NOAA white board during the early days of the spill indicating that officials immediately realized the leak could be much bigger.”
“Your dilectissime [sic] letter of the l6th arrived this morning and I must scribble a word of reply.”
“Fockers, Terri Polo (that's Polo, as in horses, not as in chicken) has what's best described as a scribble on her left breast (alongside a wonky heart).”
“The researchers studied the activity of two genes in fruits flies: RAS that is responsible for 30 percent of cancers and a gene called scribble that thwarts cancer, but promotes it if it becomes mutated.”
“Dan Williams (6): md/raid5: initialize conf - > device_lock earlier md/raid456: downlevel multicore operations to raid_run_ops md/raid6: kill a gcc-4. 0.1 'uninitialized variable' warning async_pq: kill a stray dma_map () call and other cleanups async_pq: rename scribble page async_tx: fix asynchronous raid6 recovery for ddf layouts”
“Once you realize that a career as an artist is not in your future and that you had to label the scribble to make it look like more than just a squiggly line, you fill out the required information and go over your monologue as well as you can, considering the noise surrounding you.”
“If she tells you her scribble is a cat, praise her, write "CAT" on it and hang it prominently.”
“Another flare-up came from "scribble," software developed by a member that made it easier for users to delete all their posts.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scribble’.
random gangster lingo and street slang with extra absurdities.
( open list, randomness )
Scrawlings, notes, odd writings, and messages.
This list is basically an excuse for me to list the word wool four times in a row.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
Words with the letter b within the word, not just as the initial or last letter.
Ah, yeah, this is a list of words that I think sound pretty funny... or dumb, either way, I like 'em so, yeah.
Words that I find are amazing
Looking for tweets for scribble.