American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A European seashore plant (Eryngium maritimum) having prickly, fleshy, bluish leaves and heads of blue or purplish flowers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The plant Eryngium maritimum.
- n. More generally, any of several species of plants in the genus Eryngium.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) a species of Eryngium. See Eryngium.
- (Bot.) An evergeen seashore plant (Eryngium maritimum). See eryngium.
- n. widely cultivated southern European acanthus with whitish purple-veined flowers
- n. European evergreen eryngo with twisted spiny leaves naturalized on United States east coast; roots formerly used as an aphrodisiac
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sea holly’.
A poor pathetic thing, but mine own.
Trimming the "Chained Bear's Favorites" list so I don't crash people's computers... like my own...
Words for things both tangible and nonanthropic
I spent a few seasons doing gardening work for a former English professor. This is just a list of some of the friends I made in her garden. (Some of these plants spent the winter inside, of course.)
Plants or gardening concepts I like.
Looking for tweets for sea holly.