from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small marine fish of the genus Hippocampus, characteristically swimming in an upright position and having a prehensile tail, a horselike head, and a body covered with bony plates.
- n. See walrus.
- n. Mythology An animal, half fish and half horse, ridden by Neptune and other sea gods.
- n. A large white-capped wave.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small marine fish of the genus Hippocampus that have a horselike head and swim upright.
- n. The walrus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A fabulous creature, half horse and half fish, represented in classic mythology as driven by sea dogs or ridden by the Nereids. It is also depicted in heraldry. See hippocampus.
- The walrus.
- Any fish of the genus Hippocampus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small fish with horse-like heads bent sharply downward and curled tails; swim in upright position
- n. either of two large northern marine mammals having ivory tusks and tough hide over thick blubber
Sorry, no etymologies found.