from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several large-eared seals with relatively long neck and limbs, especially Zalophus californianus, of the northern Pacific.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A marine mammal of any of several genera in the family Otariidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any one of several large species of seals of the family Otariidæ native of the Pacific Ocean, especially the southern sea lion (Otaria jubata) of the South American coast; the northern sea lion (Eumetopias Stelleri) found from California to Japan; and the black, or California, sea lion (Zalophus Californianus), which is common on the rocks near San Francisco.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several large eared seals, or otaries.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing representing a creature having a head like that of a lion, but sometimes without the mane, two paws with long claws, and fish-like body. Also called lion-poisson and morse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several large eared seals of the northern Pacific related to fur seals but lacking their valuable coat
sea + lion (Wiktionary)