American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large marine otter (Enhydra lutris) of northern Pacific coastal waters, formerly hunted for its soft, dark brown fur.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A marine otter, Enhydris marina, belonging to the family Mustelidæ and subfamily Enhydrinæ: distinguished from land-otter or river-otter. It inhabits the North Pacific; its fur is of great value, and its chase is an important industry. See cut under Enhydris.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) See in the Vocabulary.
- (Zoöl.) An aquatic carnivore (Enhydris lutris syn. Enhydris marina) found in the North Pacific Ocean. Its fur is highly valued, especially by the Chinese. It is allied to the common otter, but is larger, with feet more decidedly webbed.
- n. large marine otter of northern Pacific coasts having very thick dark brown fur
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sea otter’.
The collocations below consist of nouns only. Noun-noun collocations are extremely frequent in science (just think of the names of species, chemical compounds or "scientist+invention" type collocat...
Anything to do with the fur trade.
You know what I'm talking about. Look for the images...
animals of interest
Looking for tweets for sea otter.