from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sea wrack used as fertilizer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Flotsam; articles cast up by the sea.
- n. A kind of kelp; sea girdles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Seaweed; esp., coarse seaweed. See ware, and sea girdles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Seaweed; especially, the larger, coarser kinds of algæ that are thrown up by the sea and used as manure, etc.
Possibly Old English sǣwār : sǣ, sea + wār, seaweed; see wei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
sea + -ware (Wiktionary)