from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the separate, usually green parts forming the calyx of a flower.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the component parts of the calyx, when this consists of separate (not fused) parts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A leaf or division of the calyx.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a calyx-leaf; one of the individual leaves or parts that make up the calyx, or outer circle of floral envelops. See calyx, cut in preceding column, and cuts under antisepalous and dimerous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the green parts that form the calyx of a flower
New Latin sepalum, perhaps blend of Greek skepē, covering and Latin petalum, petal; see petal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin sepalum (Wiktionary)