from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The elimination of competing businesses or products in a particular field.
- n. A decline in the values of certain securities that usually results in a depressed stock market.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An event that causes marginal constituents to be eliminated.
- n. The separation of molds from their flask, the castings from the molding sand, and potentially the cores from the castings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an economic condition that results in the elimination of marginally financed participants in an industry
shake + out (Wiktionary)