American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A game, usually involving gambling, in which a person hides a small object underneath one of three nutshells, thimbles, or cups, then shuffles them about on a flat surface while spectators try to guess the final location of the object. Also called thimblerig.
- n. A fraud or deception perpetrated by shifting conspicuous things to hide something else.
- n. A game of skill which requires the bettor to guess under which of three small cups (or shells) a pea-sized object has been placed after the party operating the game rapidly rearranges them, providing opportunity for sleight-of-hand trickery.
- n. Any confidence scheme, especially one involving the rapid movement of investment funds to a location beyond recovery.
- n. a swindling sleight-of-hand game; victim guesses which of three things a pellet is under
“Congress could then decide what its response was to the G-77’s dominance in budget debates, but at least we would not be participating in a shell game of accepting “consensus” decisions that really were no such thing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shell game’.
Words listed first by me that don't belong in any other list.
Off the straight and narrow; less than straight arrow.
Magicians & magic tricks
Words associated with grifting and other fraud. Watch your wallet!
Looking for tweets for shell game.