from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two detachable braided cords worn on each shoulder of the full-dress uniform of a commissioned officer.
- n. An ornamental knot of ribbon or lace formerly worn on the shoulder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an ornamental knot of ribbon or lace worn on the shoulder; a kind of epaulet or braided ornament worn as part of a military uniform.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A knot of ribbon or of metal lace worn on the shoulder.
- n. An epaulet.
- n. A piece of jewelry made to wear on the shoulder, as a brooch or simple ornament: most generally a diamond pin set with many stones.
- n. One of certain noctuid moths: an English collectors' name. Hadena basilinea is the rustic shoulder-knot.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.