American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several birds having long sharply curved bills, as Falculea palliata, a passerine bird of Madagascar, and Hemignathus procerus, a Hawaiian honeycreeper.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of various birds whose bill is sickle-shaped or falciform; a saberbill. Those of the genera Drepanis, Drepanornis, and some allied forms.
- n. The California thrasher, Harporhynchus redivivus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any one of three species of humming birds of the genus Eutoxeres, native of Central and South America. They have a long and strongly curved bill. Called also the
- n. A curlew.
- n. A bird of the genus Epimachus and allied genera.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sicklebill’.
The triggerfish humuhumunukunukuapuaa belongs on this list too.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
A list of birders' "shorthand" names, traditional nicknames, non-English names, and obsolete names for feathered creatures worldwide.
Interesting blog entry here on naming U.S. birds.
A work in progress....Birds from around the world (other than endemic to North America).
Looking for tweets for sicklebill.