from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several birds having long sharply curved bills, as Falculea palliata, a passerine bird of Madagascar, and Hemignathus procerus, a Hawaiian honeycreeper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several birds with a sickle-shaped bill
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of three species of humming birds of the genus Eutoxeres, native of Central and South America. They have a long and strongly curved bill. Called also the sickle-billed hummer.
- n. A curlew.
- n. A bird of the genus Epimachus and allied genera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of various birds whose bill is sickle-shaped or falciform; a saberbill.
- n. The California thrasher, Harporhynchus redivivus.
Sorry, no etymologies found.