from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rugged range of mountains having an irregular or jagged profile. See Usage Note at redundancy.
- n. A Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus sierra) of the Pacific coast of tropical America.
- n. See cero.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rugged range of mountains.
- n. The letter S in the ICAO spelling alphabet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ridge of mountain and craggy rocks, with a serrated or irregular outline.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chain of hills or mountains: used as part of the name of many mountain-chains in Spanish or formerly Spanish countries: as, the Sierra. Nevada (in Spain and in California).
- n. A scombroid fish, Scomberomorus caballa, a kind of Spanish mackerel.
- n. Same as chromosphere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Spanish mackerel of western North America
- n. a range of mountains (usually with jagged peaks and irregular outline)
Spanish, saw, sierra, from Latin serra, saw.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish sierra (Wiktionary)