from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cosmetic applied to thicken, lengthen, and usually darken the eyelashes.
- transitive v. To apply mascara to.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cosmetic used to darken and thicken the eyelashes.
- v. To apply mascara to the eyelashes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cosmetic used to darken and thicken the eye lashes, usually applied with a small brush.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. makeup that is used to darken and thicken the eye lashes
Probably Spanish máscara, mask; akin to Italian maschera; see mask.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian maschera ("mask"). (Wiktionary)