American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tubelike structure in the body of a shelled cephalopod, such as a nautilus, extending through each chamber of the shell.
- n. A tubular organ on the abdomen of an aphid, from which a waxy fluid is secreted as a pheromone when the insect is attacked. Also called cornicle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoöl:
- n. A siphon; especially, the siphon or funnel of tetrabranchiate cephalopods, between the chambers of the shell which it connects. See cut under Tetrabranchiata.
- n. In entomology, same as nectary, 2. Also called cornicle, honey-tube, siphonet, and siphunculus.
- n. In the cephalopods, the calcareous tubular wail of the siphon.
- n. The protrusible portion of the mouth-parts of a true louse, supposed to be modifications of the epipharynx and hypopharynx.
- n. A strand of tissue passing longitudinally through the shell of a cephalopod mollusk, used primarily in emptying water from new chambers as the shell grows.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The tube which runs through the partitions of chambered cephalopod shells.
- Latin sīphunculus, diminutive of sīphō, sīphōn-, siphon; see siphon. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The foramen here described is easily seen; but, as I have stated, there are other modes of communication between the so-called pericardium and the cavity with which the siphuncle communicates, of a far more extensive nature.”
“It has altered the position of the siphuncle, has placed it in the centre instead of leaving it on the back, but it still whirls its spiral logarithmically as did the Ammonites in the earliest ages of the world's existence.”
“_siphuncle, _ which thus connected the smallest or aphical chamber with the largest.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘siphuncle’.
A list of words with definitions directing us to "see cut under" (or "see cut at") another definition (with hilarity occasionally ensuing).
Uncles, words or phrases with the letters u-n-c-l-e (in that order), and anything avuncular.
My Favorite Words
And things having to do with them.
Looking for tweets for siphuncle.