from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several large predatory sea birds of the genus Catharacta related to the jaeger, especially the great skua.
- n. Chiefly British See jaeger.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various predatory seabirds of the family Stercorariidae that often chase other seabirds to steal their catches.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any jager gull; especially, the Megalestris skua; -- called also boatswain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A gull-like predatory bird of the family Laridæ and subfamily Stercorariinæ or Lestridinæ, especially Stercorarius or Megalestris catarractes, or M. skua, the species originally called by this name, which has since been extended to the several others of the same subfamily.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gull-like jaeger of northern seas
New Latin, alteration of Faroese *skūvur, from Old Norse skūfr, tassel, seagull.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Faroese skúgvur ("Great Skua"), from Old Norse skúfr. (Wiktionary)