from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dog used for tracking or pursuing, such as a bloodhound. Also called sleuth.
- n. A detective.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A working dog who tracks or pursues e.g. a wanted criminal
- n. a detective, a sleuth
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hound that tracks animals by the scent; specifically, a bloodhound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bloodhound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a breed of large powerful hound of European origin having very acute smell and used in tracking
- n. a detective who follows a trail
Middle English sleuth, animal track (from Old Norse slōdh) + hound.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)