from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a way not specified, understood, or known.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In one way or another; in some way not yet known or designated; by some means; as, the thing must be done somehow; he lives somehow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In one way or another; in some way not yet known or designated; by some means
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In some way not yet known, mentioned, or explained: as, somehow he never succeeded; things must be done somehow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in some unspecified way or manner; or by some unspecified means
- adv. for some unspecified reason
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I thought of shouting "Dad!" but the word somehow seemed too puny.
Here is a different way to think about Barack Obama's plight: President Hillary Clinton a phrase somehow in the air just now would not have had this much trouble doing a deal on the debt ceiling.
Sometimes, with mechs, a smile could transform the face into something even less human—the expression somehow incongruous on the synthetic lips, a quaint and unsettling party trick, like a dog propped at the dinner table with a fork and spoon.
The current administration has lasted the term somehow but its journey has been exhausting and the motley group of parties that make up the government seem to have lost their individual identities because of the Common Minimum Programme that had to be stitched together in order to make up the numbers required to rule.
As you may guess installing toolbars on peoples machines by sneaking them in somehow is insanely profitable.
Is the term somehow related to the familiar concept of Prix Fix, as in "one choice and cheap"?
They purchased the title somehow by the previous owner because the folks that had it didn't pay for it or never picked up the title.
“On old Earth,” he continued, his expression somehow conveying the impression that he expected everyone else to know exactly what he meant.
As if saying the name somehow released her from the threat of impending violence, Soleta turned to face him.
Ms. Zarin was also attending, and her name somehow ended up on publicity materials.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.