from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of stem.
- n. Movement against a current, especially a tidal current.
- n. A process for removing the inflexional, and sometimes derivational, affixes from words.
- n. The technique of bridging between two holds with hands and/or feet, applying forces to each in opposing directions in order to brace oneself in position.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The operation of tamping.
- n. The material used in tamping.
- n. The act of removing the mid-rib (‘stem’) from a tobacco-leaf. See stemmed tobacco and stemmer.
Sorry, no etymologies found.