from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A person who is despised.
- n. A small musk turtle (Sternotherus odoratus) of the eastern and southern United States, usually found on the bottom of ponds and small streams.
- n. Slang A motorboat.
- n. An earthenware jar containing combustibles emitting a suffocating smoke, formerly used in naval warfare. Also called stinkball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An annoying, bad or undesirable person
- n. A species of turtle from southeastern Canada, Sternotherus odoratus
- n. Alternative name for the common musk turtle
- n. Alternative name for the southern giant petrel
- n. Slang term referring to a motorboat (usually used by sailors)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An earthen jar charged with powder, grenades, and other materials of an offensive and suffocating smell, -- sometimes used in boarding an enemy's vessel.
- n. A vessel in which disinfectants are burned.
- n. The musk turtle, or musk tortoise. See under Musk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pot or jar of stinking materials; a chamber-pot.
- n. A receptacle containing a disinfectant. See the quotation under stinker.
- n. A stinkball.
- n. The musk-turtle, Cinosternum odoratum or Aromochelys odorata, a stinking kind of turtle common in some parts of the United States.
- n. A name given by sailors to the giant petrel, Ossifraga gigantea, on account of its rank, musty smell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small freshwater turtle having a strong musky odor
- n. a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible
Sorry, no etymologies found.