from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb To fill a hole or cavity, or block an opening or passage, as with a plug.
  • verb photography To increase the aperture of a photographic lens, moving from an f/stop represented by a higher number to an f/stop represented by a lower number and causing more light to pass into the camera.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb fill or close tightly with or as if with a plug


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word stop up.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.