Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In pathology, compressed so as to suppress the function of a part: as, a hernia is said to be strangulated when it is so compressed as to obstruct the circulation in the part and cause dangerous symptoms.
- In botany, contracted and expanded in an irregular manner.
- In entomology, constricted; much narrowed: especially noting the thorax or abdomen when constricted in one or more places, as in many ants.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of strangulate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Med.) Having the circulation stopped by compression; attended with arrest or obstruction of circulation, caused by constriction or compression.
- adj. (Bot.) Contracted at irregular intervals, if tied with a ligature; constricted.
“One of them, Roger Cohen, praised him in The New York Times last week for "his evident loathing for elites, for cozy establishments, for cartels, for what he's called 'strangulated English accents.”
“Chiefly, this is due to prevent an emergency known as a strangulated hernia.”
“She was about to seat herself when she heard a kind of strangulated hail.”
“Five counties of the state were in this manner made bankrupt, and for a long time under special laws were known as "strangulated" counties.”
“Mobile and Memphis, surrendered their charters and were ruled directly by the governor; and there were numerous "strangulated" counties which on account of debt had lost self-government and were ruled by appointees of the governor.”
“TheophileEscargot - to non-english ears zadie just sounds like an educated Londoner. i'm guessing the "strangulated" sound you hear is your struggle to assign a class to people whose accents have shifted. anyway listen to her talk it's really good and deals with issues like this. quote at the end pulled by andrew sullivan:”
“Hernias that cannot be reduced are more likely to be painful, and they can become strangulated, meaning that the blood supply to the bowel is cut off.”
“Yet as the people of Egypt strive for that right – some of them sacrificing their lives for the cause – there has been a strangulated sound coming from the throats of those who ought to be the clearest advocates of liberty.”
“Similarly, men refused a hernia operation could end up developing a strangulated hernia, which requires emergency surgery; and if tonsils are left infected, infection can spread to the middle ear or brain, Black added.”
“In Mexico, a mariachi band was strangulated and he stretched the skin of their bodies end to end covering the floor of his hovel.”
Looking for tweets for strangulated.